A History of Salisbury Township, by Joan M. Lorenz is available for sale at $25/book at the Township Building at 5581 Old Philadelphia Pike, Gap, PA 17527. To order a book by mail, please send a check for $30/book.
The history spans the discovery of a dinosaur footprint from the Jurassic Age to the present time. The 344 page, hard-cover book, is organized by each original post office and place name of Salisbury Township.
After the introductory chapters, "South Hermitage" begins the book because the Township's first colonist, Robert Gault, settled there. The next chapter, "Gap", contains the oldest documented house still standing in Salisbury Township, the Francis Jones Hotel, 1728, which started commerce there. The history then continues contiguously around the Township.
Each chapter contains the history of the land, families, schools, churches, commerce, and in most cases, a personal account of life in the early days of the Township.
Maps of each area: 1864, 1875, 1899, 1977 and 1984, precede each chapter so that readers can see at a glance who lived in a specific place.
A 1747 map of the Eastern United States showing Gap and the Pequea Creek lies on the inside cover and a 1993 map shows the names of the streets and roads today.
An extensive, name index lists all names mentioned in the text.
For more information call 717-768-8059.